Yes I get to do the technical portion of an interview today for our Tech Support Analyst opening at Layne... the first of many. My boss will talk with the candidate for a half hour or so asking all of the high level personality type questions and I get to ask him if he knows the difference between an IP and an IPA (IPs are MUCH less bitter). Actually here are the questions I came up with... this is a little bit above an entry level position so I tried to keep the questions intermediate on the PC/printer support side and on the easy end of the networking/domain side.
1) A client has lost connectivity from his/her workstation. What are the general steps you would take to determine the cause of failure? List at least 2 steps.
2) How would you map a shared network printer to LPT1 in DOS?
3) You suspect a virus has infected a PC you are troubleshooting. You want to see where it may have files that are auto-loading upon start-up. Name 2 places within Windows that you could check.
4) A new external Print server unit has arrived and you are required to configure it. You have a laptop available to you, a switch, and an extra network cable. The instructions provide you with it's default IP address. You will need to configure the unit via DOS, as no web based options are available. What command would you use to connect to the print server from the command line?
5) What steps would you take to change a windows 2003 domain user account password?
6) A user says they can download email (they are set up to get POP3 email from the mail server’s IP address) but they can't get to any websites through Internet Explorer. What is most likely the problem?
7) A print job is stuck in a queue on the company print server and cancelling all documents does not clear the queue. This is an executive printer and must be freed up ASAP. What would be the least disruptive solution?
8) You’ve shared a directory on the company’s file server and given a user ‘share permissions’ to modify the resource however they still cannot access the resource. What else needs to be done?