Tuesday, February 19, 2008

DOS 2008 (warning: moderate techspeak below)

OK well that is misleading... but I am excited about the new Microsoft Powershell.

It is a command line shell much like the old DOS shell which is going to be integrated with Windows 2008 but can be installed on WinXP and later OSes. It is a shell and scripting language designed for admins. As I understand it, server 2008 will actually be able to be installed WITHOUT the GUI and run completely through the powershell interface. Also (again as I understand it) all new Microsoft server products like Exchange 2007 for example will integrate with powershell. It seems to me that Microsoft finally gets that admins can do more and faster with a command line than with a GUI and are moving towards the linux model which can also exist completely without a graphical environment. Of course the GUI will always be there and available; otherwise the name 'Windows' becomes apocryphal. But just imagine being able to telnet into your domain controller and do everything you need to do without a bandwidth crunching, time consuming remote desktop application...


That said, I am even more excited that Layne is sending me to a three day powershell class at New Horizons next month.

4 comments:

SQLFunkateer said...

Nifty!

Although, I am stranded without the GUI. I always tuned out the gpupdate.msc -t:"wjpt" /admin -/noshell \\WSUS\upsc.ini stuff in my server classes. I mean, I can launch things from the command line, but actually make changes? I guess I am too "new school", or what will now become "old school" for that.

They sound like they are trying to win over the Unix/Linux guys, and this appears to be an excellent strategic step for them.

SQLFunkateer said...

BTW, how is New Horizons? I've been going to Centriq, or Centriq Foss or whatever it is called now. Next month I'm taking a SQL maintenance course.

Percussivity said...

Well the last series of classes I did there was about 6 or 7 years ago when I did the MCSE track and I thought the instructors and the facilities were all excellent. Of course they are at Metcalf South Mall which is turning into a ghost town and will most likely soon be a pile of rubble, but I'm sure they will relocate.

Ben said...

Hey Mike - Congrats on the new job! Sounds like you're able to enjoy what you do. That's a nice place to be.

Regarding the diet - hang in there! I did Atkins 4 years ago and lost 60 lbs. It's worth the pain. You can doo eeet!