Thursday, July 24, 2008

The genius of Douglas Adams

So I've been rereading my favorite Sci-Fi comedy series (ok my ONLY sci-fi comedy series) written by the late Douglas Adams and I feel I need to share some of his wit with the world who will never pick up HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy because they saw the silly movie from a couple years ago. Unfortunately for them they failed to realize that the brilliance of Douglas's writing was pretty much left out of the movie. Now his ideas where there and yeah they were very silly in most cases... but the way he puts things and his quirky phrasing are to me where the entertainment value most often is found. Now it is true that Adams was a tree hugging, liberal minded evolutionist and to be honest we wouldn't have had very much in common but he was also extremely intelligent and witty and even his jabs at religion are so well thought out and insightful one has to smile broadly. So consider this the first installment of possibly many more to come entitled 'The Douglas Adams Quote of the Day'.

These quotes will be given typically without context... if you want to really 'get them' then read his books.

Today's Quote: "It has been said that Vogons are not above a little bribery and corruption in the same way that the sea is not above the clouds."

4 comments:

The Angry Coder said...

I don't know why, but I have never had any interest in the least bit in reading these books... or seeing the movie. I can't really say why, either. There isn't anything specifically that puts me off, it's just that the idea of reading them really doesn't do it for me.

Percussivity said...

Well I suppose not everyone enjoys seafood either. I've always considered his writing style similar to a 'sophisticated' Monty Python, so that alone would immediately turn off a portion of the population who despise British humour.

And perhaps even if you like Monty Python you won't like Adams... I'm just posting quotes that strike my funny bone square on.

SQLFunkateer said...

I think with me becoming a middle-aged old fart, or at least becoming one mentally, I am enjoying the subtler (read: blander) forms of humour myself, as exemplified with my love for PG Wodehouse. Both Wodehouse and Adams represent that sort of lighter fare of novels, where the story or plot isn't crucial, and comic wordplay, narration, and dialogue are the primary attractions.

I've read it ages ago, but I was a teenager, reading it during breaks while working at the library. I don't think I would have liked "Code of the Woosters" back then either. So, I bit the bullet and went for the linked version...the price was right for a complete collection, and the book looked rather nice quality. Should make a good sit-out-side-tending-the-smoker sort of book. That, and I used the free shipping offer to justify the purchase of another Wodehouse book...muahahaha.

Percussivity said...

Hey that's great! My copy was given to me by a good friend as a High School graduation gift (18 years ago... when I was in fact 18). Also my copy contains only the first four books as he had yet to complete the last in the series "Mostly Harmless".