Tuesday, April 8, 2008

An amazing catch...

Almost as amazing as discovering that your company has not been backing up their 1,300 Domino e-mail server users' individual mail stores... for WEEKS! This is not to brag because technically it is now my responsibility but I just got to the point where I had time to turn my full attention to the backup procedures and scrutinize each backup job. I gave my boss heartburn but he was grateful that I caught it. So last night I put a temporary backup procedure in place and today I will try to get the normal backup job fixed so that it will be protecting mailboxes in the future. The problem was that while the company purchased a license for the Open File manager that works with our backup software, it had never actually been installed so the demo version had expired and ceased functioning, hence the mailbox files were not backed up with everything else. I wonder what else I will discover as I continue to apply the microscope to my new territory. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Percussivity said...

It turned out to not be the open file option after all (although getting that properly installed fixed a different backup job). I still got it figured out and working though so it's all good.