I've learned a great deal and enjoyed working with this fine company but all good things must come to an end. Layne is moving their headquarters to Houston, TX and while I was graciously invited and even offered an attractive compensation for moving... alas my family and my wife's family are here in Kansas City and I couldn't bring myself to go. I trust I will find another Kansas City based company to call home. I don't really have a firm end date though so I am in a bit of a nebulous situation what with the desire to start job hunting and at the same time the potential that I might be here until the end of the year. My retention agreement says December 31st OR whenever my manager releases me... that could be August or October or Dec 31. I will say that the entire company for the most part should be in Houston by early September (many will be there by the end of June actually including my manager) so the odds of them needing a remote Sys Admin, especially after they've replaced me with a Houstonian doppelganger seem at best, small.
I've been polishing up the old resume though so I will be ready to hit the streets as soon as I get an official last day notification (assuming it is other than December 31). If I get a whiff of said notification, I think I will jump the gun and get some start or other without waiting for a letter.
Oh yeah, a week from tomorrow the wife, the kids and I are all flying to El Salvador for a week long missions trip through our church! It will be a fantastic experience for the kids (DeAnna and I have been to Colombia as well as Costa Rica on similar trips although we also are obviously quite excited) as they have never even been on a plane before much less out of the country. I'll be sure to post plenty of pics and document the trip here.
On that note... the CIO just told us we could all head out early for Memorial Day weekend so I'm taking the offer. Adios!